Monday, July 9, 2012

Big Owie!

Anabelle jumped off of our bed Sunday night "toward" the chair sitting at our computer desk.  It did not end well.  Her feet landed on the ground but her mouth landed on the edge of the seat of the chair.  The poor girl :(  She cried a lot, and for a long time, but we didn't see any blood aside from a teeny tiny cut on her lip, so we thought everything was okay.  She was still sore though and every few minutes would start whining again and say, "Mommy, it still really hurts".  So I gave her lots of cuddles but didn't think anything else was wrong.  All her teeth were still there and still felt like they were staying put.  She went to bed fine that night.  This morning when she walked downstairs, I looked at her and felt so sad.  Her poor mouth was so swollen.  Her entire upper lip was huge and the swelling had spread into her cheek.  I looked into her mouth and her gums were totally blue, purple, and bright red.  She was in good spirits though and didn't realize her lip was ginormous and made her talk with a lisp.  I got her the cereal she wanted for breakfast, but when she tried to eat it, she was reminded of the pain and couldn't.  That made her pretty sad.  A few minutes later, I took Declan upstairs to lay him down for a nap.  After a couple minutes of being upstairs, I came downstairs to find that Anabelle had begun bandaging herself up. "I'm trying to put a band-aid on my owie so it can feel better."
 I'm not sure what she was doing with the medical tape, but it is pretty cute.



The bruising got worse throughout the day.  I called the Dentist this morning and took her in to see if any damage was done.  It looks like her gums took the brunt of the fall, but her front teeth have been pushed back a bit, which damaged the bone at their roots.  We're crossing our fingers that this heals up well and that there was no lasting damage to the nerves.  We go back in 3 weeks for more x-rays.  But for now, we rest her mouth (no hard foods for those front teeth) and give her tylenol for pain (which she hasn't needed so far--what a trooper!) I want to cry for her.  I feel so bad, because I'm sure I could have prevented this from happening.  I was sitting right by her.  If only I had known she was jumping that closely to the chair.  I'm a sad Mama for my baby girl.  

And for my other baby too.  Declan has been running high fevers (high 102-103's since Saturday night).  Hopefully the fever will break soon and he will return to normal.  I think it will.  We took him to the Doc today and she was optimistic.  He has no other symptoms.  Our poor kids.  When it rains, it pours.

In other news, we are getting soooooo excited to have my sister Laura's family come and visit us this weekend!!!  We'll have lots of fun enjoying Charleston with them and letting all of the kiddos play. Just a few more days...  :)


2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, my teeth hurt just thinking about that, poor Annabelle! I hope her next check up goes well! Hope Declan feels well too! I'm sorry Sarah, that sounds like a rough weekend : (

Alysia said...

ow!!!! so so sad! i'm sorry Sarah! and Annabelle!! Poor girl. And poor Declan, and poor you! I'm so sorry. :( Hopefully all will turn out all right in the end. I'm sorry though. Hang in there. Family coming in town will cheer you all up. :)