Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sewing projects

Although it sometimes takes me a while, I have finally completed a few more sewing projects!!! Hooray :)  Completing these projects is so fulfilling; I love it.

The first was a shopping cart cover that my sister-in-law Emaly asked me to make for her.  It's for our adorable nephew Ty.  Making the cover was kind of a complicated process, with quite a bit of alterations, after a some-what failed prototype.  But I am more than pleased to announce that I have completed and mailed it off to her in Utah :)  She picked out the fabric, a soft white minky for one side and a solid brown for the other side.  Here are some pictures of my little Ani modeling usage of the finished product.
One minor note to make.  After taking these pictures, I inserted my own buckle and strap to hook around the cart to keep it in place.  Now she doesn't have to use the almost-always-nasty-or-broken store buckles.

A sippy-cup or water-bottle holder to the right of Anabelle.  2 separate toy loops along the front to keep shopping time entertaining and fun for the little guy. 
 Elastic around the perimeter to hold it around the edges of the cart.
 And a velcro strap to secure the front piece around the handle
 Brown bias-tape to finish off the edges.
 And a handy bag to carry it all in.  I hope she likes it!!!

The next project I made is one I have been wanting to try for quite a while.  A taggie blanket for our little guy, coming in December.  This is the first real quilting I have done by myself, which was kind of fun (maybe because it was only a 1' by 1' square).  Obviously it isn't perfect, but oh well.  I combined 2 separate flannel patterns, some fleece (the cute animal blocks), and some cream-colored swirl patterned minky.
 The different textures of soft fabrics coupled with the ribbon tags all around the edges should be very interesting and stimulating for a baby.  I hope he likes it.  Oh, and the opposite side is a solid piece of the cream minky.
Well, there you have it, I have finally completed some more projects.  A few others I have made lately, that I don't have pictures of include several sets of burp rags (flannel patterns on each side with an absorbent cotton batting in between). Stay tuned...I plan to complete several more projects in the upcoming months.  That is, if Ani ever decides to nap during the day or I can find some other time to do it.

8 comments:

Emaly-n-Tom said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOO I CANT WAIT TO USE IT!

Joe'n'Jess said...

that cart-seat cover looks intense, but you pulled it all off really well. props to you!

Katie said...

Way to go Sarah!!!! Those turned out great! You are awesome!

Sandy said...

You continue to blow my mind. POW! What an amazing job, Sarah. You are so talented and it is awesome that you are willing to share and try things at people's request. Lucky Emaly and Tyton! Keep it up, I'm sure there is a business opportunity for you. I think your little guy will love his taggy blankie, too. :)

Sandy said...

ps. I forgot to mention the beautiful model you have showing off the cart cover. I love the pic of AB leaning forward and kind of looking up, towards the bottom of the post. She is so beautiful!!!!

elaine said...

awesome sewing skills!

elaine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alysia said...

that shopping cart is adorable! teach me now?? yes please? :) cute cute stuff. you are ridiculously impressive!