Friday, June 24, 2011

Navy Submarine Ball

Mike and I attended our first Ball last Saturday.  It commemorated the 111th birthday of the Navy Submarine force.  It was pretty neat, with a dinner, speaker, recognition of retired subs and even a few WWII Navy Veterans.  We had a great time, and it was a lot of fun (and stress) to prepare for :)  Going dress shopping, since I didn't own a single dress that could be counted as formal, was fun but nearly unfruitful.  There was not a single modest dress to be found.  Upon resolving to alter any dress I found, the search continued and I finally settled on this pretty purple one.
 In greater detail
 So, the work began.  I removed the bottom ruffle of the dress and re-hemmed the bottom.
Then, I cut sections of that ruffle and sewed them in as sleeves to the dress!  The last bit to finish was HAND-sewing the piece of material to go over the low v-neck.  That took a long time.  All in all, through my mistakes and experiments to figure out how to get all of this done, I spent about 4 hours altering this dress, all in one day.  I was pretty sick of looking at it by the time I finished :) But, I am very pleased with the outcome.

 Here we are, all dressed up. Mike in his dress whites and me in my new formal dress.  We had a great time.
 I even got to do my hair all fancy.  Wow, it had been a while since I had tried to do anything like this!  And I had about 1 option that I knew how to do as an up-do, so here it is.
 I liked it.  Dressing up was a lot of fun!  I look forward to the future Balls and events when we will get to do this again.  Look, I even got some jewelry(!!), considering I didn't have ANY to wear.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Sarah that is awesome! You did a great job! Love the dress by the way, that purple is awesome.

Justin and Toshi said...

You look BEAUTIFUL! All I can say is WOW on the altering job...amazing!

Emily said...

Sarah, that ball sounds like so much fun! I bet you loved going! And your dress looks incredible! I can't believe you just got into sewing recently and you are already altering formals. VERY nice!!

Kristi and Kory Jones said...

Way to go! That dress is amazing! good job! And you look so pretty!

maggie-t said...

WOW! You look amazing! I can't believe you added sleeves yourself. It turned out great. You are so talented. You might enjoy my sister's blog. She is always coming up with ideas like that. If I knew how to sew it would be a lot more useful for me:) It might be useful for you.

http://thoroughlymodernmormon.com/